Saturday, October 7, 2017

How To Build Your Own Bean Bag Frame

I have seen a lot of questions related to Newborn Photography. Many photographers will often ask what kind of equipment, and props are needed to do this type of session. When I photograph newborns, I normally use a bean bag for several of the poses. The bean bag is shaped like a hockey puck. I cover it with several blankets and furs that I use as a backdrop for the portraits. A common practice among newborn photographers is to use a frame that fits on the outside of the bean bag and attach a large piece of fabric to the frame. The newborn baby is placed securely on the bean bag. And the frame is simply a structure that holds the fabric in place behind the baby.

I built my own frame through trial and error. It goes together quickly and easily. Then when I'm not using it, I can disassemble it and put it away for easy storage.

To answer many of the questions that I have seen about the bean bag frame, I have decided to create a video tutorial that explains how to build the frame that I made. I am including some photographs below that were created using the frame and a short sample of the tutorial video for how to build it. The frame is made with pvc pipe. The fabric is clamped onto the frame. So it's easy to change backgrounds from one color or texture to another for some variety in your portraits. If you would like to make your own, there is a link below to the Full Length Video that provides all the supplies, measurements, and steps.

This first photo is a behind-the-scenes look at the frame. It also shows the frame before I made some adaptations. After using it a few times, I decided to change the placement (height) of the front and back bars.

Important Tip!
You may want to purchase a Pipe Cutter to make the job easy and smooth. I've added the link to one at the bottom of this page. There is also a link for the Tee Connectors and Fabric Clamps (not shown in the photo).

Below are some portraits that show the end result. Notice that the fabric rises up behind the subject, making it appear that the baby is in a very cushy bed.








I wish you the best of luck in building your own bean bag frame. Happy DIY times to you. 

I've posted the Sample Version of the Video Tutorial here:






Bean Bag sold at: coming soon
PVC Frame Kit sold at: coming soon
Bean Bag Frame Video Tutorial sold at: Walker Creative - Bean Bag Frame Video Tutorial
Links to Pipe Cutter, Pack of 10 Tee Couplings, and Fabric Clamps below.

Full Disclosure: I am not an affiliate for any of the brands below. However, I do buy the products and I really like them. I wouldn't mention them if I didn't. Yes, I am an affiliate for Amazon.com. And I really like them, too. 

            

Share this blog post on your facebook page (personal or business) and send a screen grab of your post to the email below for a chance to receive a gift. ---------->>>

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!